The Orthogonian

Barrels and barrels of monkeys. Send an e-mail.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Why I hate the Red Sox (non sequitur)

I'm now unwilling to hand out any more baseball cred. to purported Red Sox fans. The final straw came last night while at the Dallas Mavericks preseason game. We start talking about the NLCS and one of my friends reveals how he's so happy the Red Sox are in the series. He's rooting for them to win. They deserve it, he says. For what? I say. He starts talking about how they don't get respect, how they try hard... I nearly lose it. Bandwagon Red Sox fans are just about my most despised form of human life. We all know people like this. Which leads me to: Why I hate the Red Sox (using non sequitur logic - see if you can spot it).

There is only one thing in sports than a poor winner: a poor looser. That's exactly what the Red Sox have been for 86 years. Tell me: what is it about Boston that makes everyone like them so? It can't be for anything they've done (nothing). It can't be for the manner in which they lose (think sniveling idiots decrying their luck or some curse).

But a lot of my hatred towards the Red Sox comes from who I'm a fan of. I can argue the Rangers have had a far more miserable existence than the Red Sox. So why is the Sox misery celebrated and the Rangers' ignored? Why does Peter Gammons have to rub it in my face every time Boston does something well? And puh-lease. Stop giving me the Charlie Brown analogy. Charlie never complained about some curse. He was an optimist, always believing he could kick the ball. Charlie was a nice guy. The Cubs are like Charlie. Nobody by rights should like the sniveling whiners known as the Red Sox. The Red Sox are like Bluto from Popeye. No matter how many times Popeye pummels him, it never gets old. The Red Sox may try to kick the football, but they're doing it for sympathy.

Here's my big fear. If Boston somehow manages to win the World Series, I'll have to put up with a bandwagon as large as it is obnoxious. Think Yankees "fans" after 9/11. What's worse than the Red Sox acting as poor losers? Dealing with them as poor winners.

4 Comments:

At October 22, 2004 at 2:38 PM, Blogger Caffeine and Irony said...

Lindsey... I think you're missing the nuances here. The Red Sox longevity really means nothing to me. I'm 24. Since I've been alive, the Rangers and Red Sox have both been around. Time to build a fan base shouldn't effect the youngsters. Also, my friend said they deserved to WIN the WS just by virtue that they hadn't done it in a while.

 
At October 22, 2004 at 4:57 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm rooting for the Red Sox this series ... kind of. I root for whoever plays the Yankees, and of course I was giddy, to use John Kerry's word, after the Red Sox came back to defeat them.

In the Series, we have two teams that are among my top 3-5 favorites in each league. I like them both a little. But I'll pull for the Sox just because of what they did to the Yankees.

You have to respect their rally in the ALCS. Do they deserve to win because of all their "suffering?" Not any more than the Rangers, in my mind. Hell, at least they win some playoff series every now and then.
I think the Red Sox bandwagon wouldn't grow appreciably if they win the Series. Part of that bandwagon's identity

 
At October 23, 2004 at 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawson -- I know this is totally unrelated, but you were at the Mavs preseason game??? I was working there ... you should call me whenever you go to Mavs games because I work a lot of them, and I'm always good for a free coke or some popcorn if I can find your seat...mercedes

 
At October 24, 2004 at 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part of Boston fans is they like to call themselves "Red Sox Nation"

Imagine that. A nation.

That's like cheering for France in a war. A nation full of losers.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares